I live in Santa Cruz with my wife, Erika Zavaleta, and two youngest children. My two older children, my brother and his family, and my 100-year-old mom live nearby. In addition to being a dad, I’m a conservation entrepreneur. I helped start:
- Freshwater Life, which protects endangered freshwater species from extinction.
- Island Conservation and Conservación de Islas, which protected 460 species from extinction and formed 4 million acres of protected areas.
- Conservation Metrics, a for-profit social venture monitors that wildlife and land use.
- Henry Arnhold Fellows Program, which finds and supports great people with proven conservation solutions.
- Conservation Action Lab and the Coastal Science & Policy Program at UCSC which trains new conservation leaders from all over the world.